- Due to the nature of our work Unit Members
must meet certain requirements. These requirements reflect the
various levels of state, county and Unit responsibilities that are
required to perform search and rescue in the State of Washington and
- The Pacific Northwest Trackers Association
recognizes two categories of membership:
Active Members and
- Active Members are fully qualified to
participate in search and rescue activities, to vote on Unit
business and to receive funding for advanced training according to
the Unit's policy for training funds disbursements.
The requirements for beginning Active Membership
- 1. Shall be at least 16 years old.
- 2. Shall be physically able to carry
the required equipment (approximately 25-30 lbs.) through
non-technical wilderness terrain.
- 3. Shall pass all requirements as
listed in WAC chapter 118-04-120 for field-qualified personnel
(acquire a King County Emergency Worker Card).
- 4. Complete a three-month probation
period (which can be waived or lengthened at the discretion of the
Unit Training Officer).
- 5. Acquire a tracking level of "Basic
Track Awareness" as defined in Part 2 of this Handbook.
- 6. Actively participate in Unit
meetings and activities.
- 7. Possess equipment as outlined in
- Once members have attained Active
Member status, the annual attendance requirements for maintaining
Active Membership are:
- 1. Thirty-six (36) hours of Unit
training per training calendar year. The 36 hours of training
include an overnight training of at least 12 hours and does not
include travel time.
- 2. Three (3) Unit meetings per training
- 3. Two (2) searches per training calendar
Generally these people are new to the
group and are working toward Active Member status. Associate Members for
example may also be members of longer standing who do not satisfy Active
Member requirements but who do have the ability to contribute to the
group in other ways.
Associate Members can attend meetings and
practices, but are not eligible to vote on Unit business or receive any
funding by the Unit for advanced training. The specific requirements for
this category of membership are as follows:
1. Complete King County registration card.
2. Actively pursue completion of the
requirements for category of Active Member.